The Sustainable Tourism Community will participate to a closed-doors workshop on Greener Holidays in the framework of the European Tourism Convention, organised by the EU Commission DG GROW on 12th October 2020.
In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic's effects on the tourism ecosystem, the European Commission is organising the European Tourism Convention on 12 October 2020. The Convention will launch a dialogue on sustainable recovery and the strategic orientations for the tourism of tomorrow and guide future work and cooperation on tourism (towards a European Agenda for Tourism 2050).
DIBA - Barcelona Provincial Council (lead partner of the Community) will highlight the contribution of our 22 territorial cooperation projects to make holidays greener. Most notably, our projects have been developing and testing tools and strategies to:
- monitor the impact of tourism on local communities and the environment;
- develop innovative models for tourism development;
- improve the sustainability of existing tourist infrastructures;
- support the access to the market of sustainable tourism products;
- strengthen the planning and managing practices at Mediterranean regional level.
The workshop will be moderated by prof. Xavier Font (professor of sustainability marketing at the School of Hospitality and Tourism, University of Surrey, UK), and it will feature the intervention of Mr Istvan Ujhelyi (Member of the European Parliament and vice-chair of Tourism Task Force in the Committee on Transport and Tourism). Mrs Marie Audren (director-general of HOTREC - Hospitality Europe) will act as rapporteur and she will report on the workshop in the public plenary session 13h -17h.